Top Pediatric Allergist | Dr. Dean Mitchell
Get Allergy Treatment for Your Child | NYC & Long Island
DR. MITCHELL TREATS ALLERGIES WITH PROVEN, PAINFREE ALLERGY DROPS
About 80% of children with asthma suffer allergies, and approximately 8% of children under age six have food allergies.
Across the nation, the number of infants, children and adolescents with allergies, asthma and immune disorders continues to rise. Food allergies, in particular, are a growing concern for parents as severe reactions including death can occur. Detecting and treating allergies early in life will improve your child’s quality of life, help avoid potentially dangerous reactions, and limit missed school days.
At Mitchell Medical Group, we specialize in working with children and their parents on diagnosing, educating and treating allergies.
Our Approach to Treating Your Child’s Allergies
When it comes to diagnosing and treating your child’s allergies, we take a different approach. Our unique approach helps to accurately diagnose and treat their allergies.
- Dr. Mitchell will meet with you and your child to get a detailed history of the child’s medical, dietary and environmental history followed by a physical examination
- To test for allergies, we do a simple blood test.
Other allergists may use hundreds of painful scratch tests on the child’s back to test for allergies.
- Once an allergy has been confirmed, we utilize sublingual allergy drops to treat the allergies underlying cause.
- Under the tongue drops taken at home each day
- Ultimate “cure” of allergy symptoms in 3-5 years
Benefits of Allergy Drops for Children
- Child-friendly, pain-free, and sweet-tasting
- Convenient, at-home dosing
- No weekly trips to the doctor
- Preliminary results in just 2-6 weeks
- Safe for young children
- Reduces need for oral allergy medication
- Great for pet allergies
- Successfully treats broader range of allergies and may prevent new allergies
- Alters immune response to allergens for permanent allergy “cure”
- Improves asthma control and may prevent asthma from developing
How Allergy Drops Work
The mechanism behind allergy immunotherapy is simple and elegant and you don’t need to have a degree in science to appreciate the mechanism. A person’s immune system builds up protective blocking antibodies when the patient receives gradual, stronger doses of allergy drops. The stimulation to the immune system creates a shift in the immune balance to block allergy symptoms instead of developing such symptoms.
The allergy drops are taken daily by mouth. Over time, with the use of the allergy drops your body builds up a tolerance to what is making you allergic. Most of our patients need to take allergy drops 6-12 months before they build up a high tolerance to the cause of their allergies.
Allergy Drops vs Allergy Shots
|Begins with allergy testing||X||X|
|FDA-approved allergen formulas||X||X|
|Allergy “cure” in 3-5 years||X||X|
|Targets all allergens at once||X||X|
|Full concentration at start for immediate improvement||X|
|Convenient, self use at-home||X|
|Doctor visits only 1-2 times / year||X|
|Safe and easy for kids as young as 4-5 years||X|
Common Allergies & Allergy Symptoms
Common Types of Allergies
Common Allergy Symptoms
|Mold allergies||Nausea or vomiting|
|Food allergies (nuts or dairy)||Runny or stuffy nose|
|Drugs such as penicillin||Swelling in body parts|
|Dust mites||Stomach pain|
Why We Prefer a Blood Test Over Scratch Tests
Testing for allergens is simpler than ever before and with advances in blood testing there is no reason for your child to endure painful scratch tests. Today’s sophisticated blood analysis allows for precise diagnosis with only one blood draw.
This type of testing tells us several important factors. It tells us how allergic a patient can be, indicates the likelihood that the patient will develop or has already developed allergic antibodies to environmental substances (pollen, mold, dust) and foods.
In order to determine how allergic a patient can be to a substance is called the total IgE. To make an accurate diagnosis the doctor needs what’s called the specific IgE – an identification of the antibodies that are specific as to which allergens in the environment are the culprit. The specific IgE reveals what you are allergic to and how severe it might be.
Both blood and scratch tests are equally reliable and highly accurate, but we prefer blood tests for two reasons:
- They do not introduce the allergic substance into the body so there is no risk of an allergic reaction caused by the test
- The blood test is standardized (meaning the lab uses controls to make sure the test is accurate). Skin testing can vary depending upon the device used and the practitioner performing and interpreting the test.
The Allergy March
As we grow toward and through adulthood, allergies cease to follow a straight line and as a result they are not always easy to spot which means we don’t always know that we are allergi even if the symptoms are in plain view.
For example, since allergies present in different ways, allergic patients may already have seen one or more specialists before they are sent to an allergist. The patients follow the symptoms, which often take them down other paths, they go where it hurts them, not realizing that the actual condition may underlie their symptoms.
Get Treatment for Your Child
If you think your child suffers from allergies or has been diagnosed with allergies, Mitchell Medical Group can help. Give us a call today to schedule your appointment with Dr. Dean Mitchell in our midtown Manhattan office or Rockville Centre, Long Island office.
- Bioidentical Hormones
- Children's Allergies
- Chronic Fatigue
- Chronic Vaginitis
- Chronic Hives
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- IV Vitamin Therapy
- Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Medical Marijuana
- Thyroid Optimization
- Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome Treatment
- Trigger Point
Why Choose Us?
- Board Certified Immunologist
- Proven Holistic & Natural Treatments
- Leading Expert in Sublingual Immunotherapy
- Original 3-Step Treatment Process
- Specialize in Solving Tough, Difficult Cases
- Focus on Treating Whole Patient, Not Just Specific Organ
- Treatment Using IV Vitamin Therapy
- Trains Physicians Across U.S. on Allergy Drops